Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Tuesday's Eats & Acorn Squash Risotto

Tuesday's Lunch:Butter lettuce salad with tomato basil feta, black olives, alfalfa sprouts, leftover diced onions & green peppers, and cucumber slices. Red grapes and Sabra Roasted Pine Nut Hummus. I also had a half of a Mediterranean Whole Wheat Flat Bread with the hummus.


I also snacked on a nectarine and a Sargento Colby Jack Cheese Stick.

Dinner: Acorn Squash Risotto

This picture doesn't do it justice! Sometimes the iPhone isn't the best camera for everything :)

Recipe:
  • 12 oz. risotto (Arborio rice)
  • 1-2 T butter (I used Smart Balance Light)
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, diced
  • 4 cups heated reduced sodium stock
  • 1 acorn squash
  • 1/2 bunch kale, washed and chopped
  • Dash of fat free milk
  • Generous shake of parmigiana cheese
  • Red pepper flakes
  • Ground flax seed
Preheat oven to 375. Chop acorn squash in half, scrape out seeds and place cut side down in a casserole or baking dish with 1 inch of water. Bake for 30 minutes then take out, remove water, and turn over to back for another 30 minutes.

While the squash is baking, preheat a large saute pan and melt butter. Add onion and garlic and cook until translucent. Add risotto and toast until shiny and translucent. Ladle in heated stock to risotto mixture one ladle at a time and stir until all liquid is absorbed. Continue this throughout the 18-20 minutes of cooking time and until all stock is absorbed.

Once all stock is added and the squash is finished cooking, scrape out the squash pulp and add to rice. Stir and combine. Add in kale and cover for a few minutes to steam. Pour in some milk, cheese and the red pepper flakes. I also added some salt and pepper, but taste first as some stock is pretty salty. Stir everything to combine and let cook on low for a few minutes. Sprinkle flax on top and mix in.

Serve warm, top with parsley or dill.

*I added grilled chicken, but I wouldn't recommend it! Matt actually LOVED this dish, which I was a bit worried he wouldn't, and he said that he would even eat it WITHOUT the chicken!! He never wants to eat anything vegetarian so I was happy with that. I think this would also be good cooked with some pancetta or sausage.

Dessert:
Dannon Light and Fit Vanilla Yogurt, Total Cereal, 1/2 Mango

Yum! I ate a lot of good food today. I have been soo hungry all day and as I type this, I want something else! Maybe we will make some popcorn. :)

I am also excited to report, that Matt has been running the past two days! He doesn't like running but he is making a good effort at eating healthier and working out. He has so much energy tonight that he just completely cleaned out the fridge and sanitized it! He even half way posed for me :)


I know I'm enjoying my off day, I hope everyone else is having a great Tuesday night!

No comments:

Post a Comment