Saturday, May 9, 2009

Perfect Saturday

I have had a fantastic Saturday so far! (And I may or may not be drunk blogging right now.)

It started off with a bike ride through downtown Charleston and over our only hill in town, the Ravenel Bridge. I rode for a total of 12.6 miles and I definitely have a new found respect for cyclists. Obviously it's not that difficult on flat surfaces, but over hills are quite the challenge--even for someone who just ran a marathon!



I am considering doing a sprint (or even possibly an Olympic length) triathlon this summer/fall so part of my post-marathon plan has been to dust off the ole road bike. Regardless of whether I end up doing a tri, my post-marathon goals in general are to be more well rounded athletically, work different muscles, and do more cross-training to firm up my body and lose a few pounds.

This morning when I started out I was feeling great! Then when I started up the bridge I knew it was going to be tough for a non-cyclist like myself. I made it up the first hill and stopped at the top for some water which was a mistake. I almost threw up my breakfast. Going down hill was fun though...but then I had to make my way back over. I got passed by some super-speedy cyclists who offered me some, "Stick with it! You can do it!" I felt super lame, but at the same time, I think it helped me push it up to the top.

After my ride, Matt and I headed to Lowe's to pick up the herbs for my balcony herb garden!



It was a hard decision, and I almost bought another planter so I could have 6 total herbs, but I decided to be thrifty and stick with 3. I got rosemary, sweet basil and cilantro. Last summer I had basil, oregano and sage and I am super pumped about the cilantro this year! Did you guys know that coriander seeds grow into cilantro? You probably do but when I found that out last summer I was pretty shocked/surprised.



I also bought a pot to plant my marathon plant in that Meredith brought me after finishing my race! It's African Violets (I think) and I can't wait to see how big it grows!

Matt and I tag teamed dinner and he grilled up some BBQ chicken and balsamic eggplant, while I oven baked some sweet potato and regular potato wedges and steamed some asparagus.



Delish! We've been jamming out to some tunes and sipping on bourbon and coke so it's been a good/relaxing evening. We're about to head over to our across the street/on the water bar for a few drinks!

Hope you guys are having a fantastic Saturday!

***
My first run back yesterday turned out pretty well! I did about 5.5 miles over the bridge and back after work. It was really hot and I was dehydrated, but other than that it went well. It felt good to be running again.

I'm gonna head out in the morning for 8 miles (hopefully) so I will let y'all know how that goes!

5 comments:

  1. Your patio is so cute - with a great view!
    I didn't know that coriander grows to cilantro - news to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, I love your herb garden on your (totally awesome) patio!

    Here's another weird cilantro fact: some people are genetically predisposed to taste a really unpleasant flavor instead of the "fresh" taste that we apparently both like. Harrison really hates cilantro because it tastes "just bad" to him, but I've read about people who liken its flavor to soap or rotting meat! Weird, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I found you from RunningLaur's blogroll. I'm enjoying your blog and look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great Saturday and kudos for no misspellings/grammatical errors with a drunken blog post. :) I have a question for you: Love the addition to the side of your race pics, how did you add those? I added pictures times and race info basically with the same format yours are showing now, but within a day the pics didn't show up anymore. I had copy and pasted the photos into a plain text box I think. How did you do it? So annoyed at my blogger inabilities. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got an Olympic Tri on my "potential" list for September. I'd like to do a Sprint first just to make sure I enjoy the Tri =).

    ReplyDelete